Saturday, June 25, 2011

What Friendship is to Me


Friendship: a friendly relation or intimacy.
Intimacy: a close, familiar, and usually affectionate or loving personal relationship with another person .

I happened upon an interesting post today, http://ecosalon.com/teach-me-nothing-just-be-my-friend . It really made me made me dig deep and ponder just how I felt about what the author was saying. At first I thought, I’m not so sure about this because I like learning from my friends but the more I dug into my true feelings, I realized I had more in common with her thoughts.

I am fortunate to have friends with many talents and wisdom, and each of them bring something different to my life and I would never want to discount the knowledge I have gained from them. I have some pretty sharp friends, if I must say so. But I realized, they did not become my friends based on what they could do for me, it was based on who they were to me. It was because we connected on a personal level.

One thing I think we all are guilty of is trying to “fix” our friends. I have come to realize, that is not our place.  When we think it's our job we are saying, there is something wrong with you. By doing this, we are placing conditions on the friendship. Who are we to judge? We may not always agree or like the actions of our friends, which is a whole other issue but friendship is acceptance and loving through the good and bad. We should always want the best for our friends and be willing to offer wisdom but a true friend will never put conditions on the friendship depending on your fix-ability.

To me a friendship is about a relationship; a true a bond between two people. Sometimes it’s beyond words and many times, words are not even necessary. It’s about two souls that have a desire to be connected with their other part. It’s about acceptance and unconditional love. It’s about forgiveness and understanding. It’s about overlooking the small stuff and refraining from judgment. It’s about praying for their needs and what is close to their heart. It’s about allowing them to share all they need to share and listening with a companionate heart. It's about honesty and trust, It’s about grieving when they grieve, loving who they love, giving when there is a need, excitement when they triumph, crying when they cry, encouragement when they are down, a boost when they need to be motivated, laughing at stupid things only they can understand, loving when sometimes they are unlovable and no matter what…always…always have their back.

My prayer today is to always be the friend to others that I seek for my own life


XXOO

No comments: